Saturday 19 February 2022

Verbal Analysis of Poem

Hello everyone,

My Today's  Blog on verbal Analysis of song or poem with misunderstanding discussed by I.A. Richards as thinking activity given by our professor Dilip Barad sir.

Who is I.A. Richards

Ivor Armstrong Richard

Ivor Armstrong Richard known as I. A. Richards. He was an English educator, literary critic, and rhetorician. His work contributed to the foundations of the New Criticism, a formalist movement in literary theory which emphasized the close reading of a literary text, especially poetry, in an effort to discover how a work of literature functions as a self-contained and self-referential aesthetic object.

Richards' intellectual contributions to the establishment of the literary methodology of the New Criticism are presented in the books ,

1)The Meaning of meaning  : A Study of the Influence of Language upon Thought and of the Science of Symbolism (1923)

2) Principles of Literary Criticism (1924)
3) Practical Criticism (1929)
4) The Philosophy of Rhetoric (1936).


Old criticism - what a poet want to say in a poem but in New criticism what a poem want to say - meaning of poem is become more important.

There is many possible meanings of one word :

1) metaphorical meaning
2) dictionary meaning

I. A. Richards talked about four kind of meanings of words :

1)Sense - what is said or the items refered by a writer
2) feeling - attitude towards work 
3)Tone - writer's attitude to his reader or audience
4) intention - Aim of writer 


In gujrati there is three kind of meanings

અભિધા - direct meaning

વ્યંજના - there is direct meaning but it's not usable- suitable

લક્ષણા‌ - there is no direct meaning 

Richards also discussed about kind of misunderstanding is happen during the analysis of the poem or works,

1) The sense of poetry
2) scientific reading ( over literal reading)
3)Defective scholarship; inappropriate metaphor
 4) Difference in meaning of words in poetry and prose (Personification, Metaphor etc)


Textual analysis of poem : 

Song : Dil se bandhi aek dor
Singer : Pamela Jain
Album : Badhai ho badhai



Dil Se Badhi Ek Dor
Jo Dil Tak Jaati Hai
Haa Jaati Hai

Pyar Ki Bandhan
Bandhe Jaati Hai
Pyar Ki Bandhan
Bandhe Jaati Hai

Angna Mein Pyar
Ke Gulaab
Jo Kheel Kheel
Jaati Hai
Kheel Jaati Hai

Rishtyon Ki Bagia
Mahak Jaati Hain
Rishtyon Ki Bagia
Mahak Jaati Hain

Angna Mein Pyar
Ke Gulaab
Jo Kheel Kheel
Jaati Hai
Kheel Jaati Hai


Modern criticism

 Textual analysis means close reading of the poem or text. 

" Poetry is not turning loose of emotion but an escape from emotion"


When i first time listen the song,

'Dil Se Badhi Ek Dor
Jo Dil Tak Jaati Hai
Haa Jaati Hai'  

Scientific reading - misunderstanding :


I can't able to understand that how one can tying the heart with another heart. But here we have to use વ્યંજના શક્તિ and apply another meaning of it , there is meaning but we can't use it so we can say that singer talked about feelings which feel by heart and thorough one heart it's go another heart through rope. Rope also become symbol of connection But if we do scientific reading then it is not possible to tying the heart with another heart.

In another line says that,

 'Angna Mein Pyar Ke Gulaab Jo Kheel Kheel Jaati Hai angana me'

This thing is not possible rose is natural and they don't have feelings . But we have to use another meaning of it which is if there is love and relation then there is happiness in everywhere and here flowers become symbol of love and positivity. If we do scientific reading then it is not possible to happen.


In third paragraph , there is

 'Rishtyon Ki Bagia Mahak Jaati Hain Rishtyon Ki Bagia
Mahak Jaati Hain

In this singer talked about garden of relation which became Redolence it is not possible scientifically because relation don't have address and specific space. But we don't have to use direct meaning but understand the  feelings of singer.

Garden - family
Flowers - relation 
Redolence - love

In short Garden use as family and flowers of garden is become relation and redolence is love. If there is love between relation then it become redolence as garden become redolence when flowers blossom.



2) Song – Bole Chudiyan
Movie – Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham
Singer – Amit Kumar, Sonu Nigam, Alka Yagnik, Udit Narayan & Kavita Krishnamurthy
Lyrics – Sameer Anjaan
Music – Jatin
Label – Sony Music Entertainment







बोले चूड़ियाँ बोले कंगना
हाय मैं हो गयी तेरी साजणा
तेरे बिन जियो नय्यो लग दा मैं ते मरग़ैय्या

लै जा लै जा दिल लै जा लै जा
लै जा लै जा सोणिये लै जा लै जा
लै जा लै जा दिल लै जा लै जा
लै जा लै जा सोणिये लै जा लै जा
हो हो आ आ आ आ

बोले चूड़ियाँ बोले कंगना
हाय मैं हो गयी तेरी साजना
बोले चूड़ियाँ बोले कंगना
हाय मैं हो गयी तेरी साजणा

तेरे बिन जियो नय्यो लग दा मैं ते मरग़ैय्या
लै जा लै जा सोणिये लै जा लै जा
दिल लै जा लै जा हो

बोले चूड़ियाँ बोले कंगना
हाय मैं हो गया तेरा साजना

तेरे बिन जियो नय्यो लगदा मैं ते मरजावा
लै जा लै जा सोणिये लै जा लै जा
दिल लै जा लै जा हो


हाय हाय मैं मरजावा मरजावा तेरे बिन
अब तो मेरी रातें कटती तारे गिन गिन
बस तुझको पुकारा करे
मेरी बिंदिया इशारा करे

होये लश्कारा लश्कारा
तेरी बिंदिया का लश्कारा
ऐसे चमके जैसे चमके
चाँद के पास सितारा

ओ मेरी पायल बुलाए तुझे
जो रूठे मनाए तुझे
ओ सजन जी हाँ सजन जी
कुछ सोचो कुछ समझो मेरी बात को

बोले चूड़ियाँ बोले कंगना
हाय मैं हो गया तेरा साजणा
तेरे बिन जियो नय्यो लगदा मैं ते मरजावा

अपनी मांग सुहागन हो
संग हमेशा साजन हो
आ के मेरी दुनिया में वापस ना जाना
सहरा बाँध के माही तू मेरे घर आना


सोणी कित्ती सोणी आज तू लगदी वे
बस मेरे साथ ये जोड़ी तेरी सजदी वे
रूप ऐसा सुहाना तेरा
चाँद भी है दीवाना तेरा
जा रे जा ओ झूठे तेरी


गल्लां हम ना माने
क्यूँ तारीफें करता है तू
हम तो सबकुछ जानें
मेरे दिल की दुआ ये कहे
तेरी जोड़ी सलामत रहे


ओ सजन जी, हाँ सजन जी
यूँ ही बीते सारा जीवन साथ में
बोले चूड़ियाँ बोले कंगना...

लैजा लैजा सोणिये लैजा लैजा
दिल लैजा लैजा हो हो हो


  English translation  : 

The bangles are saying
The bracelets are saying
That I have become yours, my beloved
I can't live without you
And I would die

Take it away ...take my heart away
Take it away ... my beloved take it away
Take it away ... take my heart away
Take it away ... my beloved take it away
Aa aa ... aa aa

The bangles are saying
The bracelets are saying
That I have become yours, my beloved


The bangles are saying
The bracelets are saying
That I have become yours, my beloved
I can't live without you
And I would die
Take it away ... my beloved take it away
Take my heart away ... ho ho o


May their be vermilion always in your hair parting
May my beloved always be with me
After coming into my world
Don't go back

My love you wear a turban
And come to my house
Hey how beautiful you're looking today
Only we as a couple look perfect
Your look is beautiful


Even the moon is crazy about you
Go away you liar
I don't believe what you're saying
Why are you flattering
I know everything
Ho o o o ... the prayer of my heart says
That your bond shall remain safe
Oh my beloved
Yes my beloved


May we spend our whole lives together
The bangles are saying
The bracelets are saying
That I have become yours, my beloved
I can't live without you
And I would die

Take it away ... my beloved take it away
Take my heart away ... ho ho o
Take it away ... my beloved take it away
Take my heart away ... ho ho o


Come beautiful ... go away lover boy
Come beautiful ... go away lover boy


Take it away ... take my heart away
Take it away ... take my heart away
Take it away ... my beloved take it away
Take it away ... take my heart away
Take it away ... my beloved take it away
Aa aa ... in times of happiness and sadness
We won't separate
In times of happiness and sadness


Analysis

When we listen the song and trying to analyse it ,  'बोले चूड़ियाँ बोले कंगना
हाय मैं हो गयी तेरी साजणा
तेरे बिन जियो नय्यो लग दा मैं ते मरग़ैय्या'. How can bangles speak?? But hear we have to use લક્ષણા શક્તિ  we don't have to use direct meaning but another word. Because bangles can't speak.


In another lines 'हाय हाय मैं मरजावा मरजावा तेरे बिन अब तो मेरी रातें कटती तारे गिन गिन
बस तुझको पुकारा करे मेरी बिंदिया इशारा करे'
Noone can count star but we have to use here  વ્યંજના શક્તિ and use another meaning,  which is ' i can't live without you my night is become that much boaring so i used to count star which is meaningless work and my forehead we have direct meaning but we can't use it.


There is many other ornaments like , bangles, bracelet , anklets which called her beloved and ornaments told that if you upset then they cheer up to you and also says that try to understood their voice. 

There is one line 'रूप ऐसा सुहाना तेरा
चाँद भी है दीवाना तेरा' moon can't be fan of somebody but here hero praise his beloved by using this metaphor. 

Basically whole song is about to take somebody with beloved because one can not live without each other and for showing their love they use many such ideas of called somebody. And there is heroine who called her beloved so she used example of ornaments which is relevant to her.

If we do scientific reading of song it's impossible to happen but we don't have to use direct meaning of song there is વ્યંજના and  લક્ષણા શકિત. We have to understand feelings and emotions of singer.

 As per આનંદવર્ધન says  : 'શબ્દ અને અર્થ એ ચિત ની પ્રવુતિ છે જે  વિચારને આધીન છે' 

Means that we have to focus on feelings of hero and beloved rather than words and meanings. 
 


Word count : 1683 

2 comments:

The Age of Pope (1700-1744)

  The Age of Pope (1700-1744) Introduction The Glorious Revolution of 1688 firmly established aProtestant monarchy together with effective r...